After Agni-V test, China calls for nuke security
New York: China has called on the international community to work together in promoting international nuclear non-proliferation, nuclear disarmament and nuclear security.
The statement came on Thursday, a day when India successfully test-fired a long-range nuclear-capable ballistic missile.
Li Baodong, the Chinese permanent representative to the UN, who took the floor at an open meeting of the UN Security Council on nuclear non-proliferation, said: "The international community needs to enhance its coordination and cooperation in this regard and join hands to face the challenge."
"To continually promote international nuclear non-proliferation, nuclear disarmament, and nuclear security is of great significance to maintaining international peace and security," Xinhua quoted Li as saying.
"China supports the Security Council in playing its role in this regard."
While acknowledging "some positive developments" in the field of arms control and nuclear proliferation, Li also listed matters of concern.
"With the common efforts of the international community, the areas of arms control and non-proliferation have seen some positive developments," he said. "At the same time, the nuclear proliferation issue remains acute. Nuclear disarmament has a long way to go. The nuclear security situation remains grave."
"China believes to maintain international peace and stability, to realise general security in the world, we must uphold a new security concept based on mutual trust, benefit, equality, and coordination...," he said.
"We must consolidate international nuclear non-proliferation mechanisms, fully respect the rights of countries to peaceful use of nuclear energy and avoid double standards," he said.
"At the same time, we must adhere to scientific and rational concepts of nuclear security, strengthen capacity building in this regard and deepen international communication and cooperation and enhance global nuclear security levels and realise the common goal of general nuclear security."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit
- Avg 49 days of employment generated in 2015-16 under MGNREGA: Govt
- Turkey`s post-coup purge: almost 16,000 detained, 50,000 fired
- Death sentences upheld for six Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh militants in 2005 bombings
- Oh Air India! 11,000 flights rescheduled, 16,000 flights delayed till June 2016