After al-Shabab attacks, women kidnapped near Kenya`s Mpeketoni
Having killed over 60 people within two days near the coastal town of Mpeketoni, Somali terror outfit al-Shabab continued to unleash terror as 12 women were reportedly kidnapped on Tuesday.
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Nairobi: Having killed over 60 people within two days near the coastal town of Mpeketoni, Somali terror outfit al-Shabab continued to unleash terror as 12 women were reportedly kidnapped on Tuesday.
Residents of Mpeketoni told the BBC that 12 women were abducted from near the coastal town on Tuesday.
The aduction comes on the heels of two consecutive attacks on villages near the coastal town of Mpeketoni within two days, claimed by al-Shabab that killed at least 15 people overnight and 48 people the day before, when Islamists attacked hotles and a police station.
Claiming the attacks, the al-Shabab said it was in retaliation to the involvement of Kenyan troops in Somalia.
Al-Shabab added that the attacks were in response to Kenya`s "brutal oppression of Muslims in Kenya," including the killings of Muslim scholars in Mombasa.
The terror outfit warned that the raid will continue "as you continue to invade our lands and oppress innocent Muslims."
Despite the al-Shabab claim of carrying out the raid, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta on Tuesday blamed "local political networks" of staging the attacks.
"This... was not an al-Shebab attack. Evidence indicates that local political networks were involved in the planning and execution of a heinous crime," the AFP quoted him as saying in a televised address to the nation.
The back-to-back attacks underscore the weak security around the Lamu area, which lies just south of the Somali border. Lamu once attracted swarms of foreign visitors but its tourist sector has been suffering in recent years because of increasing violence.
Last year in September, the al-Shabab had carried out a deadly siege on Westgate shopping mall in Kenya`s Nairobi, killing dozens.