After crash, China rail spokesman sent to Poland
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 13:11
  
Beijing: The spokesman for China's embattled Railways Ministry has been transferred to Poland following a deadly high-speed train crash last month that killed at least 40 people, state media reported on Thursday.

The July 23 crash prompted Beijing to suspend construction of new high-speed lines and recall problem-plagued trains, in an extraordinary reversal for a project that had national prestige on par with China's space program.

Ministry spokesman Wang Yongping sparked public outrage when he said it was "a miracle" that a two-year-old girl was found unconscious in the train wreckage 21 hours after the crash.

The girl was found after authorities had called off the search for survivors, and many questioned why she hadn't been found sooner and why rescue efforts were stopped so quickly.

The official Xinhua News Agency reported that Wang was headed to Warsaw to represent China in the International Organisation for Cooperation of Railways. It described the move as a transfer rather than a demotion and said the new posting would be "more relaxed" than Wang's former job.

Xinhua didn't say when Wang would leave for Poland, but reported that his replacement, Han Jiangping, had already started work in Beijing on Wednesday.

Bureau Report


First Published: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 13:11


comments powered by Disqus