After NYC subway deaths, barriers get new eye
New York: Transit officials are giving a new look to the idea of installing safety barriers on New York City subway platforms after three deaths on the tracks since early December.
Dozens of subway and light rail systems around the world have barriers with sliding doors on their platforms. The idea has been broached in New York before but didn`t get traction.
But the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said this week that "in light of recent tragic events," it "will consider the options for testing such equipment on a limited basis."
Safety doors would be expensive and difficult additions to the sprawling, 108-year-old subway system. But some people are urging the MTA to try it.
A company has proposed to install the barriers for free in exchange for advertising revenue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman