After NYC subway deaths, barriers get new eye
New York: Transit officials are giving a new look to the idea of installing safety barriers on New York City subway platforms after three deaths on the tracks since early December.
Dozens of subway and light rail systems around the world have barriers with sliding doors on their platforms. The idea has been broached in New York before but didn`t get traction.
But the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said this week that "in light of recent tragic events," it "will consider the options for testing such equipment on a limited basis."
Safety doors would be expensive and difficult additions to the sprawling, 108-year-old subway system. But some people are urging the MTA to try it.
A company has proposed to install the barriers for free in exchange for advertising revenue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today