After Taliban, al-Shabaab logs on to Twitter
London: After Taliban in Afghanistan, an
Islamic terrorist group has opened a Twitter account as it
bids to win a PR war in the bloody battle for control of
Al-Shabaab, which has links to al Qaeda, registered the
account @HSMPress on September 16 but only delivered its first
tweet yesterday, The Daily Mail reported on Friday.
The name of the account gives some idea of why it has been
created; the initials stands for Harakat Al-Shabaab Al
Mujahideen Press Office.
They currently have 1010 followers but follow none.
The Taliban too had opened a twitter account to espouse
its view in just 140 characters.
In September, as the guns fell silent in Afghan capital
Kabul after a 20-hour stand-off between NATO forces and
Taliban, the two sides had began another battle: on Twitter.
Both sides exchanged a series of tweets against each other
before they fell silent.
@HSMPress has posted 24 tweets till now.
The move onto Twitter could be seen as an attempt to
counter the widespread message of Kenya`s military spokesman
Major Emmanuel Chirchir, who uses his own Twitter account to
highlight the government forces` success in battling
al-Shabaab to his 10,000 followers, the UK daily reported.
Al-Shabaab wants to overthrow the Somali government and
controls large swathes of the country`s southern territory,
where it is believed to have imposed its own strict form of
The terror group has claimed responsibility for the July
2010 attacks on Kampala in which 74 people died and is accused
of launching terrorist attacks on Mogadishu over two days in
August 2010 which killed more than 300 people.
The group has also claimed responsibility for an attack on
October 4 this year in which a truck filled with explosive was
driven into a Somali government ministry, killing 139 and
injuring 93, the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview