Ahamdinejad questions veracity of Pentagon’s 5,113 Nuclear warheads
New York: Iran’s firebrand President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has questioned the authenticity of Pentagon’s disclosure that US has 5,113 warheads, saying that there were “several thousand" more retired warheads awaiting the junkpile.
Ahamdinejad is in New York for the month long Non Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Review Conference.
He refuted allegations that Iran was trying to build the nuclear bomb. The rebuttal is probably in order to avoid a new round of Security Council sanctions.
"Perhaps there should be an independent body to verify what the U.S. Government declares," Reuters quoted Ahmadinejad as saying.
"If the U.S. government expects everyone to trust what it says, it is unfair for the U.S. to not trust what others say," he added.
Taking a hard-line stance the Iranian President said new sanctions would signal an end to his country’s diplomatic engagement with the Obama administration.
"While we do not welcome sanctions, we do not fear them either," he said.
Other UN Security Council powers seemed unmoved by Ahmadinejad’s statements.
Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei A. Ryabkov said on Tuesday, he was "reasonably optimistic" that an agreement can be reached on a fourth round of sanctions over Tehran````s uranium enrichment program.
"I do believe the talks are slowly moving forward. There````s definitely some space to bridge over. But I wouldn````t over-exaggerate the differences," Ryabkov said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know