Ahead of debates it’s tie for Obama-Romney: Polls
Washington: Ahead of the first of the three-presidential debates this month, Barack Obama, the incumbent and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney are virtually tied, a series of latest opinion poll has revealed.
The results of the opinion poll come less than 50 hours before the crucial first of the three presidential debates between Obama and Romney. The performance of Obama and Romney during these debates is expected to play a significant role in determining the final winner to the November 6 presidential elections.
Fifty-per cent of likely voters questioned in the CNN survey, which was released yesterday, say that if the election were held today, they would vote for the president, with 47 per cent saying they would support Romney, the former Massachusetts governor. The President`s three point margin is within the poll`s sampling error of CNN / ORC International Poll.
The CNN / ORC poll comes in the heel of a few other similar polls which have also indicated the same. According to ABC News / Washington Post poll, Obama has a support of 49 per cent as against Romney`s 47 per cent. Politico/ GWU and Battleground also reports the same results.
While results of Rasmussen Tracking matches that of CNN/ORC poll, in the Gallup Polling, gap between Obama and Romney is by four points. "That`s a strong suggestion that whatever bounce President Obama received from his convention has, as expected, faded away," says CNN polling director Keating Holland.
CNN said when it comes to issues; the survey indicates that Obama and Romney are effectively tied when likely voters are asked which candidate would best handle the economy.
Romney, however, appears to have an edge on the top two economic issues: unemployment and the budget deficit. Obama, by contrast, has the advantage on a variety of non-economic domestic issues such as education, medicare and health care, and also polls strongly on taxes, traditionally a GOP issue, CNN said.
All of these issues will most likely be debated by the candidates Wednesday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India