Ahmadinejad accuses US forces for bombings in Iran

Prez Mahmoud Ahmadinejad accused US forces in Afghan and Pak of backing the bombings.

Last Updated: Jul 19, 2010, 00:01 AM IST

Tehran: President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Sunday
accused US forces in Afghanistan and Pakistan of backing the
bombings such as the two suicide attacks which killed almost
30 people in southeast Iran.

"If (US President Barack) Obama is unaware of actions of
American forces, then we tell him that American forces based
in Afghanistan and Pakistan back such actions," he told a
cabinet meeting, referring to Thursday`s bombings in
the restive city of Zahedan.

NATO and US forces back "terrorists" with equipment and
funds to launch such attacks in Iran, he said, quoted by the
state news agency IRNA. "Despite this support, the US
president sends a message of sympathy."

On Thursday, two suicide bombers blew themselves up at a
Shiite mosque in Zahedan, the capital of Sistan-Baluchestan
province which borders Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The bombings killed at least 28 people and wounded
hundreds more, according to an updated casualty toll.

"I strongly condemn the outrageous terrorist attacks on a
mosque in southeast Iran," Obama said in a written statement.
"The murder of innocent civilians in their place of worship is
an intolerable offense."

The attacks were claimed by a Sunni rebel group,
Jundallah (Soldiers of God), which says it is fighting for the
rights of the Sunni Baluchis in the province of
Sistan-Baluchestan.

Iranian officials have previously also accused US,
British and Pakistan intelligence services of aiding Jundallah
in launching cross-border attacks inside Iran.

PTI