Ahmadinejad an elected leader: White House
Washington: Indicating a change in stance of the Obama administration towards Iran`s recent disputed presidential election, the White House said Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is the elected leader of the Islamist nation.
"He (Ahmadinijad) is the elected leader," Robert Gibbs, the White House Press Secretary, told reporters at his daily press briefing when asked about the swearing in ceremony
of Ahmadinijad as the President of Iran for the second term." he said.
"Look, I think we have said throughout this that this was a decision and a debate that was ongoing in Iran by Iranians. That they were going to choose their leadership,"
"The President has discussed our goals for reaching out in order to ensure that they don`t develop a nuclear weapons program. Those continue to be our goals," he said.
Ahmadinejad`s re-election on June 12 led to an opposition protest that triggered the worst turmoil in the Islamic republic`s history. Dozens of demonstrators were killed or wounded in the uprising.
President Barack Obama has been cautious in responding to the turmoil because he is trying to open a dialogue with Iran about its nuclear programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog