Ahmadinejad defends his embattled chief of staff: Reports
Tehran: Iran`s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
has backed his chief of staff, Esfandiar Rahim Mashaie, who
has come under fire from conservative clerics for remarks
about Islam, media reported on Thursday.
"Mashaie is my chief of staff and I have every confidence
in him. He is a believer, who is faithful to the principles of
the Islamic republic," Ahmadinejad said.
A close relative of the president, Mashaie caused a stir
earlier this month when he told a conference for Iranians
living abroad that there was an "Iranian school" of Islam,
distinct from other schools, which Iranians should "present
to the world" to show the "real nature" of Islam.
His comments provoked a backlash from conservative
politicians and clerics, who accused him of making "pagan"
remarks about religion.
On Monday, Mashaie caused further unease when he told
journalists that "if we want to present the reality of Islam
to the world we should fly the Iranian flag," because "the
Islam of the Iranians is different and enlightening, and
will shape the future."
Hardline cleric Ayatollah Mohammad Yazdi condemned
Mashaie`s remarks the next day, saying that "those who have
shamefully presented the school of Iran in place of Islam do
not belong to our camp."
And Iran`s top general, Hassan Firouzabadi, said
Mashaie`s comments were "a crime against national security."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what