Ahmadinejad gets post-presidency seat in top Iran council
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader on Monday appointed Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the Expediency Council, the country`s top political arbitration body headed by an avid critic of the outgoing president.
In announcing the appointment, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei praised Ahmadinejad`s "worthy efforts" as president.
"Considering the profuse experience you gained during eight years of worthy efforts, I appoint you as a member of the
Expediency Council," read a statement posted on Khamenei`s website.
The council is headed by ex-president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani who repeatedly criticised Ahmadinejad during his turbulent eight-year presidency for his controversial political and economic policies.
It is dominated by conservatives and acts as an advisory body for Khamenei, the supreme leader of the Islamic republic who has final say on all key policies, including nuclear talks and foreign policy.
Ahmadinejad vacated office on Saturday after two turbulent four-year terms, leaving Iran divided domestically, isolated internationally and struggling economically.
He was succeeded by moderate cleric Hassan Rowhani, who has promised to engage constructively with world powers over Iran`s contentious nuclear drive and to stave up the shrinking economy.
In the last two years of his presidency, Ahmadinejad fell from grace with Khamenei following a public power struggle, and during his tenure he was also involved in high-profile feuds with parliament speaker Ali Larijani and judiciary chief Ayatollah Sadeq Larijani.
The Expediency Council comprises high-ranking religious and political figures and former government officials. It is also tasked with resolving legislative issues between the parliament and the Guardians Council, which interprets the constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!