Ahmadinejad gets post-presidency seat in top Iran council
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader on Monday appointed Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the Expediency Council, the country`s top political arbitration body headed by an avid critic of the outgoing president.
In announcing the appointment, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei praised Ahmadinejad`s "worthy efforts" as president.
"Considering the profuse experience you gained during eight years of worthy efforts, I appoint you as a member of the
Expediency Council," read a statement posted on Khamenei`s website.
The council is headed by ex-president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani who repeatedly criticised Ahmadinejad during his turbulent eight-year presidency for his controversial political and economic policies.
It is dominated by conservatives and acts as an advisory body for Khamenei, the supreme leader of the Islamic republic who has final say on all key policies, including nuclear talks and foreign policy.
Ahmadinejad vacated office on Saturday after two turbulent four-year terms, leaving Iran divided domestically, isolated internationally and struggling economically.
He was succeeded by moderate cleric Hassan Rowhani, who has promised to engage constructively with world powers over Iran`s contentious nuclear drive and to stave up the shrinking economy.
In the last two years of his presidency, Ahmadinejad fell from grace with Khamenei following a public power struggle, and during his tenure he was also involved in high-profile feuds with parliament speaker Ali Larijani and judiciary chief Ayatollah Sadeq Larijani.
The Expediency Council comprises high-ranking religious and political figures and former government officials. It is also tasked with resolving legislative issues between the parliament and the Guardians Council, which interprets the constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot