Ahmadinejad invited to Saudi summit over Syria
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will take part in a meeting of the 57-member Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Saudi Arabia, which will focus on the Syrian conflict, Iran`s Mehr news agency reported Monday.
Mohammad Reza Forqani, head of the international affairs in Ahmadinejad`s administration, said the president was invited by the Saudi king.
Iran and Saudi Arabia remain at loggerheads because of their stances on Syria. Iran, Syria`s closest ally in the region, has repeatedly voiced support for President Bashar al-Assad while the Saudis have called to arm the Syrian opposition.
Saudi King Abdullah invited Ahmadinejad to the conference to be held Aug 15-16, despite the growing tensions between the Sunni-dominated kingdom and the predominantly Shia Islamic republic, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
The Syrian conflict has claimed 14,000-20,000 lives since March 2011, according to estimates by various opposition groups and the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video