Ahmadinejad invited to Saudi summit over Syria
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will take part in a meeting of the 57-member Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Saudi Arabia, which will focus on the Syrian conflict, Iran`s Mehr news agency reported Monday.
Mohammad Reza Forqani, head of the international affairs in Ahmadinejad`s administration, said the president was invited by the Saudi king.
Iran and Saudi Arabia remain at loggerheads because of their stances on Syria. Iran, Syria`s closest ally in the region, has repeatedly voiced support for President Bashar al-Assad while the Saudis have called to arm the Syrian opposition.
Saudi King Abdullah invited Ahmadinejad to the conference to be held Aug 15-16, despite the growing tensions between the Sunni-dominated kingdom and the predominantly Shia Islamic republic, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
The Syrian conflict has claimed 14,000-20,000 lives since March 2011, according to estimates by various opposition groups and the UN.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!