Ahmadinejad invites Morsi to non-aligned meet in I
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has invited Egypt`s first democratically elected president, Mohammed Mursi, to a summit of Non-Aligned countries to be held in Tehran Aug 29.
It was not known if Mursi has accepted the invitation.
Ahmadinejad congratulated Mursi on his win in the presidential elections last month.
He called it "an Islamic awakening in the region" and urged stronger bilateral ties and friendship between the two nations, Iranian state TV reported.
According to the Fars news agency, Mursi had said in an interview before his presidential victory that he planned to expand relations with Iran to "create a balance of pressure in the region".
However, Mursi`s spokesman subsequently denied the interview had taken place.
Western powers have been trying to isolate Iran over its disputed nuclear programme, which they suspect it is using to develop nuclear weapons. Tehran claims it is solely for civilian nuclear energy.
The Non-Aligned movement is a group of states considering themselves not aligned formally with or against any major power bloc. Till 2011, the movement had 120 members and 17 observer countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video