Ahmadinejad invites Morsi to non-aligned meet in I
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has invited Egypt`s first democratically elected president, Mohammed Mursi, to a summit of Non-Aligned countries to be held in Tehran Aug 29.
It was not known if Mursi has accepted the invitation.
Ahmadinejad congratulated Mursi on his win in the presidential elections last month.
He called it "an Islamic awakening in the region" and urged stronger bilateral ties and friendship between the two nations, Iranian state TV reported.
According to the Fars news agency, Mursi had said in an interview before his presidential victory that he planned to expand relations with Iran to "create a balance of pressure in the region".
However, Mursi`s spokesman subsequently denied the interview had taken place.
Western powers have been trying to isolate Iran over its disputed nuclear programme, which they suspect it is using to develop nuclear weapons. Tehran claims it is solely for civilian nuclear energy.
The Non-Aligned movement is a group of states considering themselves not aligned formally with or against any major power bloc. Till 2011, the movement had 120 members and 17 observer countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?