Ahmadinejad says Western sanctions won`t stop Iran
Tehran: Iran`s president said Tuesday that Western sanctions could at the most cause a "quick tap on the brakes" in Tehran`s nuclear programme but will not slow it down substantially, state TV reported.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is quoted as saying that the "West is not happy with Iran`s progress" in technological fields including uranium enrichment a possible pathway to nuclear arms.
"You think that by resorting to oil and currency issues, you are able to press the Iranian nation and stop it from its path? You are wrong. Maybe this works like a quick tap on the brakes in driving, but the Iranian nation will find its way quickly and will continue," said Ahmadinejad.
Iranian leaders have consistently taken a defiant tone toward the series of punitive oil and banking measures enacted by the US and Europe over concerns Tehran is pursuing nuclear weapons.
Iran`s oil production has fallen by about half and the country`s currency has plummeted to less than half its value over the past months.
Iran denies that it is pursuing weapons technology, saying that its programme is for peaceful purposes.
"Do you really worry about a nuclear bomb?" Ahmadinejad ask. "No, this is mere pretext. These are sheer lies. You are unhappy because you see Iran is progressing.
You want to take revenge on the Iranian nation but you cannot." He said the West should respect Iran`s nuclear rights.
Also today, Iran`s foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Tehran might consider opening the disputed Parchin site to the International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN`s nuclear watchdog.
"If we reach an extensive agreement (with the West) and they recognize our rights, we will take measures to help ease the IAEA`s concerns," he said.
The remarks come just days after Tehran again rebuffed UN nuclear agency inspectors from visiting the Parchin military base near the Iranian capital. The IAEA has linked the site to suspected secret nuclear weapons research but Iran denies that, insisting Parchin is a conventional military facility.
In a parallel comment, Iran`s nuclear chief Fereidoun Abbasi said Iran would not stop enriching uranium to 20 per cent, which the West fears bring Iran closer to a capacity to produce nuclear weapon.
"Iran will continue 20 per cent uranium enrichment until it meets its needs," Abbasi was quoted as saying by Iran`s cabinet news website, dolat.Ir.
Uranium enriched to more than 90 per cent can be used for nuclear weapons. Uranium enriched to 20 per cent can be brought to weapons-grade more quickly, but Iran says it needs the higher grade for cancer treatment and as fuel for a Tehran research reactor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!