Ahmadinejad survives ‘shoe attack’ on Egypt visit
Washington: A new video has emerged that shows a man using a shoe apparently to try and strike Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as he greeted a crowd in Egypt.
The video, uploaded to YouTube by a Turkish news service, showed Ahmadinejad in a crush of people smiling and shaking hands until a bearded man comes in the frame holding a shoe high over his head.
The shoe comes down twice in Ahmadinejad’s direction, but too far from the Iranian leader to pose a threat.
According to ABC news, several men then turn on the shoe-brandishing attacker and Ahmadinejad was quickly hustled to a waiting car.
The man was Syrian and accused the Iranian president of “killing his brothers,” said the media report.
The episode was reminiscent of a December 2008 incident in which then-US President George W. Bush famously dodged shoes thrown at him by a local television correspondent during his final visit to Baghdad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez