Ahmadinejad survives ‘shoe attack’ on Egypt visit
Washington: A new video has emerged that shows a man using a shoe apparently to try and strike Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as he greeted a crowd in Egypt.
The video, uploaded to YouTube by a Turkish news service, showed Ahmadinejad in a crush of people smiling and shaking hands until a bearded man comes in the frame holding a shoe high over his head.
The shoe comes down twice in Ahmadinejad’s direction, but too far from the Iranian leader to pose a threat.
According to ABC news, several men then turn on the shoe-brandishing attacker and Ahmadinejad was quickly hustled to a waiting car.
The man was Syrian and accused the Iranian president of “killing his brothers,” said the media report.
The episode was reminiscent of a December 2008 incident in which then-US President George W. Bush famously dodged shoes thrown at him by a local television correspondent during his final visit to Baghdad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon