Ahmadinejad survives ‘shoe attack’ on Egypt visit
Washington: A new video has emerged that shows a man using a shoe apparently to try and strike Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as he greeted a crowd in Egypt.
The video, uploaded to YouTube by a Turkish news service, showed Ahmadinejad in a crush of people smiling and shaking hands until a bearded man comes in the frame holding a shoe high over his head.
The shoe comes down twice in Ahmadinejad’s direction, but too far from the Iranian leader to pose a threat.
According to ABC news, several men then turn on the shoe-brandishing attacker and Ahmadinejad was quickly hustled to a waiting car.
The man was Syrian and accused the Iranian president of “killing his brothers,” said the media report.
The episode was reminiscent of a December 2008 incident in which then-US President George W. Bush famously dodged shoes thrown at him by a local television correspondent during his final visit to Baghdad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!