Ahmadinejad survives ‘shoe attack’ on Egypt visit
Washington: A new video has emerged that shows a man using a shoe apparently to try and strike Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as he greeted a crowd in Egypt.
The video, uploaded to YouTube by a Turkish news service, showed Ahmadinejad in a crush of people smiling and shaking hands until a bearded man comes in the frame holding a shoe high over his head.
The shoe comes down twice in Ahmadinejad’s direction, but too far from the Iranian leader to pose a threat.
According to ABC news, several men then turn on the shoe-brandishing attacker and Ahmadinejad was quickly hustled to a waiting car.
The man was Syrian and accused the Iranian president of “killing his brothers,” said the media report.
The episode was reminiscent of a December 2008 incident in which then-US President George W. Bush famously dodged shoes thrown at him by a local television correspondent during his final visit to Baghdad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP