Ahmadinejad under fire for hugging Chavez`s mom at funeral
Tehran: Senior Iranian clerics have criticised President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for consoling Hugo Chavez`s mother with a hug a physical contact considered a sin under the country`s strict Islamic codes.
The controversy follows a widely published photo showing Ahmadinejad embracing Chavez`s mother at the funeral of the late Venezuelan president.
Iranian papers today cited clerics from the religious center of Qom who described the contact as "forbidden," inappropriate behavior and "clowning around."
Iran`s strict Islamic codes prohibit physical contact between unrelated members of the opposite sex.
The conservative clerics also condemned Ahmadinejad`s condolence letter to Venezuelans in which he called Chavez a "martyr" who will be resurrected and who will return to Earth along with Jesus Christ and Imam Mahdi, a 9th century saint revered by Shiite Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!