Ahmadinejad under fire for hugging Chavez`s mom at funeral
Tehran: Senior Iranian clerics have criticised President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for consoling Hugo Chavez`s mother with a hug a physical contact considered a sin under the country`s strict Islamic codes.
The controversy follows a widely published photo showing Ahmadinejad embracing Chavez`s mother at the funeral of the late Venezuelan president.
Iranian papers today cited clerics from the religious center of Qom who described the contact as "forbidden," inappropriate behavior and "clowning around."
Iran`s strict Islamic codes prohibit physical contact between unrelated members of the opposite sex.
The conservative clerics also condemned Ahmadinejad`s condolence letter to Venezuelans in which he called Chavez a "martyr" who will be resurrected and who will return to Earth along with Jesus Christ and Imam Mahdi, a 9th century saint revered by Shiite Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred