Ahmadinejad under fire for hugging Chavez`s mom at funeral
Tehran: Senior Iranian clerics have criticised President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for consoling Hugo Chavez`s mother with a hug a physical contact considered a sin under the country`s strict Islamic codes.
The controversy follows a widely published photo showing Ahmadinejad embracing Chavez`s mother at the funeral of the late Venezuelan president.
Iranian papers today cited clerics from the religious center of Qom who described the contact as "forbidden," inappropriate behavior and "clowning around."
Iran`s strict Islamic codes prohibit physical contact between unrelated members of the opposite sex.
The conservative clerics also condemned Ahmadinejad`s condolence letter to Venezuelans in which he called Chavez a "martyr" who will be resurrected and who will return to Earth along with Jesus Christ and Imam Mahdi, a 9th century saint revered by Shiite Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy