Ahmadinejad under fire for hugging Chavez`s mom at funeral
Tehran: Senior Iranian clerics have criticised President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for consoling Hugo Chavez`s mother with a hug a physical contact considered a sin under the country`s strict Islamic codes.
The controversy follows a widely published photo showing Ahmadinejad embracing Chavez`s mother at the funeral of the late Venezuelan president.
Iranian papers today cited clerics from the religious center of Qom who described the contact as "forbidden," inappropriate behavior and "clowning around."
Iran`s strict Islamic codes prohibit physical contact between unrelated members of the opposite sex.
The conservative clerics also condemned Ahmadinejad`s condolence letter to Venezuelans in which he called Chavez a "martyr" who will be resurrected and who will return to Earth along with Jesus Christ and Imam Mahdi, a 9th century saint revered by Shiite Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?