`Ahmadinejad’s cameraman worried about going back to Iran`
New York: The lawyer representing an Iranian cameraman who accompanied President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the United States and defected last week, has said his client did so because he was concerned for his safety back home.
Hassan Gol Khanban, who accompanied Ahmadinejad during the UN General Assembly, is now seeking asylum in the United States.
His lawyer, Paul O``Dwyer, said his client had been asked to do things by the Iranian presidential delegation that he had refused to do, and was concerned about what would happen when he returns to Iran, which prompted his defection, as per a news agency .
“He was feeling threatened because of what he thought would happen when he went back,” the report quoted O``Dwyer, as saying.
“There were demands made on him by the presidential detail while he was here to do things that he did not want to do. He was obviously very, very concerned about what the repercussions to him would be when he went back to Iran for disobeying those orders,” he added.
According to the report, O``Dwyer said his client``s wife and two young children have also left Iran.
“Khanban is very, very concerned obviously about his family. His immediate family who have left Iran, and his extended family who are still in Iran, and obviously he is concerned for himself,” the lawyer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich