`Ahmadinejad’s cameraman worried about going back to Iran`
New York: The lawyer representing an Iranian cameraman who accompanied President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to the United States and defected last week, has said his client did so because he was concerned for his safety back home.
Hassan Gol Khanban, who accompanied Ahmadinejad during the UN General Assembly, is now seeking asylum in the United States.
His lawyer, Paul O``Dwyer, said his client had been asked to do things by the Iranian presidential delegation that he had refused to do, and was concerned about what would happen when he returns to Iran, which prompted his defection, as per a news agency .
“He was feeling threatened because of what he thought would happen when he went back,” the report quoted O``Dwyer, as saying.
“There were demands made on him by the presidential detail while he was here to do things that he did not want to do. He was obviously very, very concerned about what the repercussions to him would be when he went back to Iran for disobeying those orders,” he added.
According to the report, O``Dwyer said his client``s wife and two young children have also left Iran.
“Khanban is very, very concerned obviously about his family. His immediate family who have left Iran, and his extended family who are still in Iran, and obviously he is concerned for himself,” the lawyer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre