Ai Weiwei to contribute to German show at Biennale
Berlin: Chinese dissident Ai Weiwei will contribute to Germany`s pavilion at next year`s Venice Biennale.
Organizers of the German pavilion said today that the acclaimed artist is one of four international contributors commissioned for the 2013 art show.
The others are Indian artist Dayanita Singh, Santu Mofokeng from South Africa and Franco-German artist Romuald Karmakar.
Weiwei has used his art and online profile to draw attention to injustices in Chinese society and the need for greater transparency and rule of law.
He was detained without explanation for three months last year during an overall crackdown on dissent. After his release he was ordered to pay USD 2.4 million in back taxes and fines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites