Ai Weiwei to contribute to German show at Biennale
Berlin: Chinese dissident Ai Weiwei will contribute to Germany`s pavilion at next year`s Venice Biennale.
Organizers of the German pavilion said today that the acclaimed artist is one of four international contributors commissioned for the 2013 art show.
The others are Indian artist Dayanita Singh, Santu Mofokeng from South Africa and Franco-German artist Romuald Karmakar.
Weiwei has used his art and online profile to draw attention to injustices in Chinese society and the need for greater transparency and rule of law.
He was detained without explanation for three months last year during an overall crackdown on dissent. After his release he was ordered to pay USD 2.4 million in back taxes and fines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi