Ai Weiwei to contribute to German show at Biennale
Berlin: Chinese dissident Ai Weiwei will contribute to Germany`s pavilion at next year`s Venice Biennale.
Organizers of the German pavilion said today that the acclaimed artist is one of four international contributors commissioned for the 2013 art show.
The others are Indian artist Dayanita Singh, Santu Mofokeng from South Africa and Franco-German artist Romuald Karmakar.
Weiwei has used his art and online profile to draw attention to injustices in Chinese society and the need for greater transparency and rule of law.
He was detained without explanation for three months last year during an overall crackdown on dissent. After his release he was ordered to pay USD 2.4 million in back taxes and fines.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'