Ai Weiwei to contribute to German show at Biennale
Berlin: Chinese dissident Ai Weiwei will contribute to Germany`s pavilion at next year`s Venice Biennale.
Organizers of the German pavilion said today that the acclaimed artist is one of four international contributors commissioned for the 2013 art show.
The others are Indian artist Dayanita Singh, Santu Mofokeng from South Africa and Franco-German artist Romuald Karmakar.
Weiwei has used his art and online profile to draw attention to injustices in Chinese society and the need for greater transparency and rule of law.
He was detained without explanation for three months last year during an overall crackdown on dissent. After his release he was ordered to pay USD 2.4 million in back taxes and fines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!