Aide of Kim`s uncle seeks asylum in South Korea: Report
Seoul: An aide of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un`s uncle is seeking asylum in South Korea after fleeing his country ahead of a leadership purge, a report said on Friday.
South Korean officials believe the escapee might have managed funds for Jang Song-Thaek, who until this week was regarded as Kim`s political regent, said the South`s cable news network YTN, citing intelligence sources.
The report also said he may have information on secret funds controlled by the Kim family.
It said the man escaped from Pyongyang two months ago and is now under the protection of South Korean intelligence agents in China while he awaits a flight to Seoul.
The South`s spy agency and the Unification Ministry declined to confirm the report.
The South`s National Intelligence Service (NIS) told a parliamentary committee Tuesday that it believed Kim`s uncle Jang had been removed and two associates executed.
On Thursday, Yonhap news agency reported that North Korea`s ambassador to Malaysia Jang Yong-Chol had been recalled after Jang was apparently ousted.
The ambassador`s wife and two sons were spotted Thursday before boarding a flight in China`s northeastern city of Shenyang to Pyongyang, Yonhap said, citing multiple witnesses.
NIS chief Nam Jae-Joon told a parliamentary committee on Friday that the ambassador, one of Jang`s nephews, had been recalled.
North Korea`s ambassador to Cuba, Jon Yong-Jin -- the husband of Jang`s elder sister -- has also been recalled, he said, according to a joint briefing by ruling and opposition party lawmakers.
Jang`s apparent dismissal is particularly noteworthy given the crucial role he was seen as having played in securing Kim`s own succession after his father Kim Jong-Il`s death.
The NIS assessment has triggered a wave of conjecture as to why Kim has seemingly turned on the 67-year-old who helped put him on the throne.
However, the NIS report was only an assessment and it is yet to be confirmed whether Jang has actually been dismissed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information