Air Canada plane makes emergency landing
Toronto: An Air Canada jet bound for Japan made an emergency landing in Toronto after an engine shut down shortly after takeoff from Pearson International Airport. No injuries were reported.
Police believe that chunks of metal that fell on cars near Pearson International Airport came from the Air Canada Boeing 777 jetliner. Investigators know of four vehicles that were hit by pieces of metal about the size of a cellphone, said Peel regional police Constable George Tudos.
Witnesses reported seeing a plane with smoke coming from one of its engines shortly before police got calls about the falling debris, Tudos said.
"As it (the plane) was travelling away from Pearson we had other complaints stating that debris, consisting of metal objects, was falling from the sky," he said.
Tudos said there were no injuries from the falling debris and stressed that police can`t positively say the debris came from the Air Canada plane.
Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick said the plane`s crew requested an emergency landing shortly after takeoff when one of its two engines failed. The plane returned to Pearson and landed normally using one engine. Fitzpatrick said the cause of the engine shutdown was not immediately known.
Fitzpatrick said there were no injuries among the 318 passengers and 16 crew members aboard Flight AC001 bound for Tokyo`s Narita airport.
A businessman who was on board the plane tweeted that passengers were told it was an engine overheating. "Seems my plane fell apart! Luckily we managed to land it," Jason Flick tweeted, adding that the plane spent 20 minutes dropping fuel and landed heavy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi