Air France asks passengers to ‘chip in for fuel’
Sydney: Passengers on Air France, who were on a flight that was diverted from Beirut and landed instead in Damascus, were asked to chip in money and help pay for refuelling the plane.
“We went down in Syria where there were lots of soldiers ... We thought there were some problems and that there was no money to pay for the fuel,” News.com.au quoted Najib, who was a passenger on the flight, as saying.
“They asked if the passengers could contribute for the refuelling,” he added.
Najib claimed that the flight from Paris was diverted to Damascus because of tensions in Beirut and then flew on to Larnaca.
“There were some negotiations going on to buy fuel because Air France doesn’t fly to Damascus at the moment,” another passenger said.
The plane, a Boeing 777, was carrying 174 passengers and 11 crew and flew to Larnaca after it made a two-hour stop for the refuelling.
According to an Air France employee, who declined to be named, the crew at first offered to pay for the fuel in Damascus with a credit card but the transaction was impossible because of financial sanctions, which have been slapped on Syria. However, he did not specify how the payment was finally arranged, the report said.
France has suspended flights to Damascus since March because of the deadly unrest sweeping Syria, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!