Air France flight to Beirut diverted to Damascus
Paris: Air France says a flight to Lebanon`s capital was forced to land briefly in Syria after protesters blocked the road leading to the Beirut airport.
A spokeswoman said the plane took off on Wednesday from Paris, but was diverted when it was an hour from Beirut because of concerns passengers would be trapped if it landed.
Syria`s civil war has ignited long-simmering tensions in Lebanon in recent days, including the protests that closed the airport road.
The spokeswoman speaking on condition of anonymity, citing company rules said air traffic control suggested the plane land in Jordan, but it didn`t have enough fuel. Instead, it touched down in Damascus.
After refuelling, it went to Cyprus, where passengers spent the night.
The plane plans to head to Beirut on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India