Air France jet may have turned before crash
Paris: An Air France jet going from Rio de
Janeiro to Paris may have turned around before it crashed last
year, killing all 228 people aboard, officials said on Monday.
The head of the French accident investigation agency said
the plane could be found by Wednesday.
Pinging signals from the plane`s flight recorders
detected in the Atlantic depths last year were analyzed last
week with the aid of new technology that helped narrow down
the search zone to what turned out to be an unexpected
Lead investigator Alain Bouillard said that if the plane
is found in the zone where signals came from, then that would
suggest that it turned around after reaching the position that
it last reported to air traffic controllers.
"It`s a probable hypothesis," he said. "The question is
The head of the French accident investigation agency BEA,
Jean-Paul Troadec, said that sonar specialists from French
company Thales continued to study the data from the initial
search efforts, when the black box recorders were still
Using the newly analyzed information, search efforts are
concentrated on a zone 10 kilometers by 20 kilometers, two
thirds of which has been explored.
Troadec said investigators will first try to find remains
of the plane, and then look for the black boxes, without which
the cause of the crash may never be known. Submarine drones
are scouring the area, he said.
"It`s a relief and gives us hope in the search for
truth," said Robert Soulas, who lost his daughter and
son-in-law on Flight 447 and is part of an association that
represents victims` family members.
But both Troadec and Soulas said they were being
"prudent" and not jumping to any conclusions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh