Air strikes on Iran by the US and Israel unacceptable: Russia
Moscow: Air strikes on Iran by the US and
Israel is "unacceptable" to Russia, a top general said on Monday.
"Any air strike against Iran by the United States or
Israel would be unacceptable. This is a last resort that
exists in the plans of both the United States and Israel," the
chief of Russian General Staff Nikolai Makarov said.
However, he expressed concern on Tehran`s nuke programme,
saying it may help the proliferation of nuclear weapons.
The US and Israel have not ruled out military action on
Iran if diplomatic talks fails to resolve the dispute over
Tehran`s nuclear programme. They have also expressed concern
over the delivery of Russian S-300 air defence missiles.
Makarov said the Iranian leadership should also take into
account the global concern on its suspected nuclear plans.
"We should hear Iran and Iran should hear us and the
global community, and undertake measures," Makarov said
expressing concern at other states will follow the suit if
Iran develops nuclear weapons.
"If Iran gets nuclear weapons, it might become an impetus
for other states, and lead to further expansion of the nuclear
club," Gen Makarov was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.
He added the decision to deliver S-300 surface-to-air
missile systems to Iran should be made by the leaders.
"This decision should be made at state level. We, the
military, will follow the leadership`s commands," Makarov
Russia signed a contract with Iran on the supply of at
least five S-300 air defence systems to Tehran in December
2005. However, under the US and Israeli pressure has put the
deal on the backburner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble