Aircraft crashes in a fireball at Spanish air show
Madrid: A historic jet plane crashed into a hangar and exploded today in a fireball at an airshow southwest of the capital, severely injuring its pilot who later died in the hospital, officials said.
A spokesman for Spain`s defence ministry said the pilot, Ladislao Tejedor Romero, 35, an experienced jet pilot and assistant to Defence Minister Pedro Morenes, died of his injuries in the serious burns unit of Getafe hospital.
Some 3,000 people were at Cuatro Vientos airfield watching a showcase of aerial acrobatics and vintage aircraft when the plane, one of the first jet-propelled planes to be manufactured in Spain, crashed, sending a fireball and thick black smoke into the air.
The plane, a HA-200 Saeta, was a built in the 1950s as an advanced jet trainer by Hispano Aviacion, ministry spokesman Alfredo Florenza said. It was later given attack capability.
Florenza said the cause of the crash was not known. State broadcaster RTVE showed images of a large plume of smoke rising above hangars and interviewed witnesses who described the plane diving and crashing into buildings.
Spain`s airport authority AENA said no one else other than the pilot was injured. Europa Press news agency, however, reported quoting emergency services that two people, a rescue worker suffering from burns and a 57-year-old man suffering from an anxiety attack, believed to be the pilot`s father, were transferred to hospital. A third rescue worker suffering from smoke inhalation received first aid at the scene, the agency said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!