Airstrikes kill 13 Sinai militants: Egypt military
El-Arish: Egyptian military officials say the number of suspected militants killed by airstrikes in the Sinai Peninsula has risen to 13.
The officials say Apache helicopters fired missiles at houses used as hideouts and gathering points for the suspected militants.
The explosions resounded for miles and smoke rose in the sky from the targeted villages. Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.
A long-running military offensive has been stepped up after militants shot down a helicopter earlier this week, killing all its crew members.
The al-Qaida-inspired Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, or Champions of Jerusalem, claimed responsibility.
Ansar attacks have surged since the military toppled Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in a July coup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog