Airstrikes kill 13 Sinai militants: Egypt military
El-Arish: Egyptian military officials say the number of suspected militants killed by airstrikes in the Sinai Peninsula has risen to 13.
The officials say Apache helicopters fired missiles at houses used as hideouts and gathering points for the suspected militants.
The explosions resounded for miles and smoke rose in the sky from the targeted villages. Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.
A long-running military offensive has been stepped up after militants shot down a helicopter earlier this week, killing all its crew members.
The al-Qaida-inspired Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, or Champions of Jerusalem, claimed responsibility.
Ansar attacks have surged since the military toppled Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in a July coup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Good news for Rail Passengers! No service charge on ticket booked through card from June 1
- Japan keen to invest in India’s infrastructure growth story: Finance Minister
- People have figured out: Liam Hemsworth on reunion with Miley
- Afghan govt seeks extension for refugees to stay in Pakistan
- Asus Zenfone 3 series to be launched in India today