Airstrikes kill 13 Sinai militants: Egypt military
El-Arish: Egyptian military officials say the number of suspected militants killed by airstrikes in the Sinai Peninsula has risen to 13.
The officials say Apache helicopters fired missiles at houses used as hideouts and gathering points for the suspected militants.
The explosions resounded for miles and smoke rose in the sky from the targeted villages. Officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the press.
A long-running military offensive has been stepped up after militants shot down a helicopter earlier this week, killing all its crew members.
The al-Qaida-inspired Ansar Beit al-Maqdis, or Champions of Jerusalem, claimed responsibility.
Ansar attacks have surged since the military toppled Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in a July coup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers