AK-47 assault rifles inventor, Mikhail Kalashnikov, dies at 94
Zee Media Bureau
Moscow: The inventor of Kalashnikov assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, died on Monday, Russian TV reports said.
He was 94 years old.
Also Read: Who was Mikhail `AK-47` Kalashnikov?
“Today news sad news has arrived that Mikhail Kalashnikov has died after a lengthy illness,” read a statement released by the Udmurtia administration.
Kalashnikov had been admitted in an ICU in the Siberian city of Izhevsk last Monday and was being treated at the state cardiology centre of republic of Udmurtia.
Kalashnikov`s health began to worsen around the time of his birthday on November 10, his son, his son Viktor said.
Mikhail has been suffering from old-age related problems for some time now. He spent two weeks at a local cardiology clinic in May and was later flown to Moscow for further treatment. He was hospitalised in Moscow and was fitted with a pacemaker in June.
The Avtomat Kalashnikova-47 (AK-47) is the world`s most widely used firearm with an estimated 100 million spread worldwide.
Though it is not especially accurate, its ruggedness and simplicity are exemplary: it performs in sandy or wet conditions that jam more sophisticated weapons such as the US M-16.
"During the Vietnam war, American soldiers would throw away their M-16s to grab AK-47s and bullets for it from dead Vietnamese soldiers," Kalashnikov said in July 2007 at a ceremony marking the rifle`s 60th anniversary.
The weapon`s suitability for jungle and desert fighting made it nearly ideal for the Third World insurgents backed by the Soviet Union, and Moscow not only distributed the AK-47 widely but also licensed its production in some 30 other countries.
The gun`s status among revolutionaries and national-liberation struggles is enshrined on the flag of Mozambique.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3