Al Qaeda announces 100-attack Iraq campaign
Baghdad: Al Qaeda`s front group in Iraq said it has launched a campaign of 100 attacks across the country since the middle of August, in a statement seen by a news agency.
The Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) said the campaign began on August 15, Iraq`s deadliest day in more than a year, and would exact revenge for the death of Osama bin Laden, who was killed in a US special forces raid in Pakistan in May, and other senior leaders.
The group did not, however, explicitly claim any of the August 15 violence.
"We have started this stage with an invasion called `Revenge for Sheikh Osama bin Laden and senior leaders`," said the statement, posted on the Honein jihadist website.
"The campaign started in the middle of the fasting month
and, if God wills, it will end after 100 attacks," it said,
referring to the holy Muslim month of Ramadan, which runs
"They will include raids, martyrdom operations (suicide
attacks), roadside bombs, silenced weapons and snipers, in all
cities, rural areas and provinces."
On August 15, the day the campaign apparently began, a
series of attacks in 18 cities across Iraq left 74 people dead
and more than 300 wounded, the deadliest day of violence in
the country since May 2010.
The statement did not claim any of the day`s attacks,
which included suicide bombs, roadside blasts, and shootings.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory