Al Qaeda announces 100-attack Iraq campaign
Baghdad: Al Qaeda`s front group in Iraq said it has launched a campaign of 100 attacks across the country since the middle of August, in a statement seen by a news agency.
The Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) said the campaign began on August 15, Iraq`s deadliest day in more than a year, and would exact revenge for the death of Osama bin Laden, who was killed in a US special forces raid in Pakistan in May, and other senior leaders.
The group did not, however, explicitly claim any of the August 15 violence.
"We have started this stage with an invasion called `Revenge for Sheikh Osama bin Laden and senior leaders`," said the statement, posted on the Honein jihadist website.
"The campaign started in the middle of the fasting month
and, if God wills, it will end after 100 attacks," it said,
referring to the holy Muslim month of Ramadan, which runs
"They will include raids, martyrdom operations (suicide
attacks), roadside bombs, silenced weapons and snipers, in all
cities, rural areas and provinces."
On August 15, the day the campaign apparently began, a
series of attacks in 18 cities across Iraq left 74 people dead
and more than 300 wounded, the deadliest day of violence in
the country since May 2010.
The statement did not claim any of the day`s attacks,
which included suicide bombs, roadside blasts, and shootings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy