Al Qaeda announces 100-attack Iraq campaign
Baghdad: Al Qaeda`s front group in Iraq said it has launched a campaign of 100 attacks across the country since the middle of August, in a statement seen by a news agency.
The Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) said the campaign began on August 15, Iraq`s deadliest day in more than a year, and would exact revenge for the death of Osama bin Laden, who was killed in a US special forces raid in Pakistan in May, and other senior leaders.
The group did not, however, explicitly claim any of the August 15 violence.
"We have started this stage with an invasion called `Revenge for Sheikh Osama bin Laden and senior leaders`," said the statement, posted on the Honein jihadist website.
"The campaign started in the middle of the fasting month
and, if God wills, it will end after 100 attacks," it said,
referring to the holy Muslim month of Ramadan, which runs
"They will include raids, martyrdom operations (suicide
attacks), roadside bombs, silenced weapons and snipers, in all
cities, rural areas and provinces."
On August 15, the day the campaign apparently began, a
series of attacks in 18 cities across Iraq left 74 people dead
and more than 300 wounded, the deadliest day of violence in
the country since May 2010.
The statement did not claim any of the day`s attacks,
which included suicide bombs, roadside blasts, and shootings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year