Al Qaeda bomb maker not killed: Yemeni official

The US drone strike on Friday killed US-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and an American propagandist, Samir Khan.

Washington: Al Qaeda’s top bomb maker in Yemen did not die in a drone strike on a convoy, a top Yemeni official said on Sunday, a report that dashed the hopes of US officials who thought the attack might have killed a trio of top al Qaeda personnel.

The US drone strike on Friday killed US-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and an American propagandist, Samir Khan, who published a slick English-language web magazine that spouted al Qaeda’s anti-Western ideology.

US intelligence officials had said it appeared that bomb maker Ibrahim al-Asiri was among the dead. However, on Sunday the Yemeni official released a list of two others whose bodies had been identified and noted that al-Asiri was not one of them. The Yemeni official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss intelligence matters.

The Saudi-born Al-Asiri, 29, was tied to the so-called underwear bomb that was used in an attempt to bring down a Detroit-bound jetliner on Christmas Day in 2009. A Nigerian man has been charged in that attack. Al-Asiri was also believed to have been behind an intercepted pair of explosives-laden printers that were mailed from Yemen to the US in 2010.

There was no immediate official word from the US regarding the identities of the bodies.

Al-Asiri has been described as a critical component of al Qaeda’s activities in Yemen and his death would be a significant blow to the organisation.

Even before officials determined al-Asiri had not died in the strike, anti-terrorism experts noted that al Qaeda remained a powerful threat in Yemen. Months of political turmoil in the Mideast nation has helped the group grow stronger.

Bureau Report

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close