Al Qaeda bomb maker should be killed: US Senator
Washington: A top US Senator has said that the bomb maker, who created at least two non-metallic explosive devices to blow up a US-bound airliner, must be killed to safeguard the security of the country.
Senator Dianne Feinstein, chair of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, also said that al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula is the top security threat to the United States.
"I am hopeful that we will be able to, candidly, kill this bomb maker and kill some of these other associates, because there is a dangerous process in play at the present time," News 24 quoted Feinstein as saying.
The bombs carry the signature of suspected al Qaeda bomb maker Ibrahim Hassan al-Asiri, who is believed to be hiding in Yemen, US officials said.
The officials said that the bomb obtained in a recent intelligence operation appeared to be an upgraded version of the so-called "underwear bomb" that failed to blast a passenger jet over Detroit on Christmas in 2009.
The bomber from the al Qaeda affiliate in Yemen who was sent to blow up a US-bound airliner was actually a double agent who infiltrated into the group and volunteered for the suicide mission, intelligence agency officials have confirmed.
Western intelligence agencies have identified AQAP as the most dangerous and determined al Qaeda group determined to carry out attacks on the West.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India