Al Qaeda calls death of US envoy a `gift`
Washington: The al Qaeda`s affiliate in North Africa Tuesday urged Muslims in the region to kill US government representatives and called the death of ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens a "gift", CNN reported.
"We encourage all Muslims to continue to demonstrate and escalate their protests... and to kill their ambassadors and representatives or to expel them to cleanse our land from their wickedness," said a statement from the Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.
The group said the killing of Stevens, the US ambassador to Libya, was "the best gift you give to his arrogant and unjust administration".
The outfit said the envoy`s death was a fallout from a low-budget, amateurish 14-minute clip posted on YouTube that allegedly insults Islam.
The video prompted angry rioters to breach the US consulate in Benghazi, Libya`s second largest city, killing Stevens and three other Americans.
Washington has made it clear it did not sanction the film.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon