Al Qaeda calls for more attacks on US embassies
Cairo: Al Qaeda`s most active branch in the Middle East has called for more attacks on US embassies to "set the fires blazing," seeking to co-opt outrage over an anti-Muslim film even as the wave of protests that swept 20 countries this week eased.
Senior Muslim religious authorities issued their strongest pleas yet against resorting to violence, trying to defuse Muslim anger over the film a day after new attacks on US and Western embassies that left at least eight protesters dead.
The top cleric in US ally Saudi Arabia denounced the film but said it can`t really hurt Islam, a contrast to protesters` frequently heard cries that the movie amounts to a humiliating attack that requires retaliation. He urged Muslims not to be "dragged by anger" into violence.
The head of the Sunni Muslim world`s pre-eminent religious institution, Egypt`s Al-Azhar, backed peaceful protests but said Muslims should counter the movie by reviving Islam`s moderate ideas.
In the Egyptian capital Cairo, where the first protests against the movie erupted, police finally succeeded in clearing away protesters who had been clashing with security forces for days near the US Embassy. Police arrested 220 people and a concrete wall was erected across the road leading to the embassy.
No significant protests were reported in the Mideast yesterday; the only report of violence linked to the film came from Australia, where riot police clashed with about 200 protesters at the US Consulate in Sydney.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof