Al Qaeda claims Iraq`s worst violence in a month
Baghdad: Iraq`s al Qaeda branch has claimed responsibility for a series of attacks that killed dozens in Baghdad and across the country the day before.
The Islamic State of Iraq says it targeted security forces and government officials in "response to the campaign of detaining, torture, embargo and confiscation of lands of Sunni people, especially in Baghdad and its outskirts”.
The claim was posted on militant websites early Friday.
Al Qaeda says the Thursday morning wave of attacks that struck 10 cities across Iraq, killing at least 30 and wounding 117 people, is just the beginning of what will be a prolonged series of attacks.
Al Qaeda and other Sunni militants have stepped up attacks on Shi’ites, raising concern of a new surge in sectarian violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples
- Smartphone may reveal your sexual preferences