Al Qaeda deputy leader says West after Libyan oil
Cairo: Al Qaeda`s likely next leader says NATO`s operations in Libya are meant to topple Muammar Gaddafi so the West can install a puppet government and control the country`s oil wealth.
In a 49-minute audio recording, Ayman al-Zawahri, the No 2 man in al Qaeda, called on Libyans to acquire weapons to use in a guerrilla war against the Western coalition.
The audio was posted on militant Internet forums late Saturday. The sites said it was recorded before US commandos killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden on May 2 in his hide-out in Pakistan.
Al-Zawahri is widely believed to be a leading candidate to replace bin Laden as head of the group. He is believed to be operating from somewhere near the Pakistan-Afghanistan frontier.
In the recording, al-Zawahri congratulated fellow Egyptians for "jailing Hosni Mubarak, the tyrant, and his sons" and urged the government to sever relations with Israel. Mubarak was forced to resign on Feb 11 after an 18-day uprising in Egypt, which is one of just two Arab countries to have a peace treaty with Israel. The other is Jordan.
Al-Zawahri called on Egyptians to open the border with the Palestinian territory of Gaza.
And he called on Syrians to continue their uprising to bring down President Bashar Assad`s regime.
Al Qaeda has long opposed the regimes of autocratic Arab leaders they view as godless, corrupt and too closely allied with the United States. Al Qaeda figures in recent messages have called for the establishment of Islamic rule to replace their regimes.
However, the Arab uprisings have largely been driven by those calling for freedom, human rights and democracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?