Al Qaeda gaining strong foothold in war-torn Syria
Damascus: The al Qaeda is taking advantage of the civil war in Syria and is gaining a foothold in the war-torn country, a video released by a group called Al-Nusra has revealed.
According to The Sun, the video that was posted on websites connected to the al Qaeda backs up the grim theory that the extremist group is looking to expand into Syria, where it could launch attacks on Britain.
The video showed a hooded gunman standing in front of a sinister black flag who is among a growing number of recruits to the latest al Qaeda-linked terror network. The arsenal of weapons he posed with gave a horrifying indication of their firepower.
More footage showed heavily armed recruits wielding weapons and completing an assault course at a "school for terror".
Terror expert Chris Dobson said that the al Qaeda wanted to move into Syria after taking a pounding in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
He said, "There is mounting evidence that al Qaeda militants are fleeing from their vulnerable hide-outs and setting up bases among the rebels in Syria." He warned: "It`s an ideal location from which to launch attacks on Britain and the US."
More than 14,100 people have died since the uprising began in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why