`Al Qaeda gave up Osama to help Obama win re-election`
Washington: American radio talk show host and political commentator Rush Limbaugh has claimed to wonder that whether al Qaeda “gave up” Osama bin Laden to help President Barack Obama win re-election.
“What if Ayman al-Zawahiri and other al Qaeda leaders gave up Osama bin Laden for the express purpose of making Obama look good? Giving Obama stature, political capital?” Politico quoted the conservative radio host, as saying.
Admitting that he had a “wild theory” and was “just thinking off the top of my head”, Limbaugh said bin Laden, the founder of al Qaeda, its leader for more than two decades and a major funder of its operations until he was killed by Navy SEALs in 2011, was “expendable”.
“Al Qaeda was not depending on Osama bin Laden for operational leadership. His day had come and gone,” he said.
Limbaugh said the terrorist group would rather have Obama in power to help them get “what they want more than anything in the world” which is the destruction of Israel.
“Let me put it to you this way. Do you think that militant Islamists will be as hopeful of getting rid of Israel with a Republican president or with a Democrat president?,” he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?