Al Qaeda in decline, but threats to US multiply
Washington: Al Qaeda is in decline around the
world but remains a leading threat to the United States, joined by others like Iran, the top US intelligence official said Wednesday in an annual report to Congress on threats facing
Iran`s leaders seem prepared to attack US interests
overseas, particularly if they feel threatened by possible US
action, Director of National Intelligence Jim Clapper told the
Senate Intelligence Committee.
But Clapper, CIA chief David Petraeus and others
reasserted their position that Iran is not building nuclear weapons, in contrast to Israeli officials` statements that Iran could have nuclear capability within a year.
Petraeus said he met with the head of Israel`s
intelligence agency, Mossad, last week to discuss Israel`s
concerns, but he did not say whether Israel agreed with the US
assessment that Iran had not yet decided to make a nuclear
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said last week that
Iran is proceeding toward nuclear weapons capability and time
is "urgently running out."
Al-Qaeda and Iran are part of a mosaic of interconnected
enemies the US faces, including terrorists, criminals and
foreign powers, who may try to strike via nuclear weapons or
cyberspace, Clapper and the others said.
Al-Qaeda still aspires to strike the US, but it probably
will have to go for "smaller, simpler attacks" as its ranks
are thinned by continued pressure from US drone strikes and
special operations raids since Osama bin Laden`s death at the
hands of Navy SEALs in Pakistan last year, Clapper predicted.
"When you take one two and three out in a single year,"
that weakens the force, added Petraeus. The CIA chief pointed
out that "four of the top 20 in a single week were captured or
killed," last year, leaving the leadership struggling to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you