Al Qaeda in decline, but threats to US multiply
Washington: Al Qaeda is in decline around the
world but remains a leading threat to the United States, joined by others like Iran, the top US intelligence official said Wednesday in an annual report to Congress on threats facing
Iran`s leaders seem prepared to attack US interests
overseas, particularly if they feel threatened by possible US
action, Director of National Intelligence Jim Clapper told the
Senate Intelligence Committee.
But Clapper, CIA chief David Petraeus and others
reasserted their position that Iran is not building nuclear weapons, in contrast to Israeli officials` statements that Iran could have nuclear capability within a year.
Petraeus said he met with the head of Israel`s
intelligence agency, Mossad, last week to discuss Israel`s
concerns, but he did not say whether Israel agreed with the US
assessment that Iran had not yet decided to make a nuclear
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak said last week that
Iran is proceeding toward nuclear weapons capability and time
is "urgently running out."
Al-Qaeda and Iran are part of a mosaic of interconnected
enemies the US faces, including terrorists, criminals and
foreign powers, who may try to strike via nuclear weapons or
cyberspace, Clapper and the others said.
Al-Qaeda still aspires to strike the US, but it probably
will have to go for "smaller, simpler attacks" as its ranks
are thinned by continued pressure from US drone strikes and
special operations raids since Osama bin Laden`s death at the
hands of Navy SEALs in Pakistan last year, Clapper predicted.
"When you take one two and three out in a single year,"
that weakens the force, added Petraeus. The CIA chief pointed
out that "four of the top 20 in a single week were captured or
killed," last year, leaving the leadership struggling to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP