Sana’a: An al Qaeda-linked group in Yemen says it has released 27 government troops captured in a surprise attack last month on an Army base in the south.
Ansar al-Sharia said in a statement e-mailed to journalists that it released the soldiers on Friday after they vowed not to fight al Qaeda again.
The group captured the men in a May 07 ambush that left 20 soldiers dead in the town of al-Code outside the city of Zinjibar in Abyan province.
A Yemeni military official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to brief the media, confirmed the release.
Yemen is waging an offensive against al Qaeda, whose fighters took advantage of the country`s political turmoil last year to seize towns and territory in the south.