Al Qaeda, Iran exploit Yemen turmoil: US diplomat
Sana’a: A top US diplomat in the Middle East says al Qaeda and Iran have used the turmoil and uncertainty in Yemen to increase their influence.
Jeffery Feltman, the US Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs, said national dialogue and a smooth transition to elections in the next two years would help counter al Qaeda and Iran.
Feltman said Iran, like al Qaeda, exploits instability in Yemen, pointing to increased Iranian influence in parts of Yemen. He did not elaborate.
Al Qaeda-linked militants have taken over parts of southern Yemen.
Speaking in Sana’a on Wednesday, Feltman said the US is sending an additional USD 36 million in humanitarian aid to Yemen this year to tackle poverty and other humanitarian issues in the impoverished country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls