Al Qaeda, Iran exploit Yemen turmoil: US diplomat
Sana’a: A top US diplomat in the Middle East says al Qaeda and Iran have used the turmoil and uncertainty in Yemen to increase their influence.
Jeffery Feltman, the US Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs, said national dialogue and a smooth transition to elections in the next two years would help counter al Qaeda and Iran.
Feltman said Iran, like al Qaeda, exploits instability in Yemen, pointing to increased Iranian influence in parts of Yemen. He did not elaborate.
Al Qaeda-linked militants have taken over parts of southern Yemen.
Speaking in Sana’a on Wednesday, Feltman said the US is sending an additional USD 36 million in humanitarian aid to Yemen this year to tackle poverty and other humanitarian issues in the impoverished country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list