Al Qaeda, Iran exploit Yemen turmoil: US diplomat
Sana’a: A top US diplomat in the Middle East says al Qaeda and Iran have used the turmoil and uncertainty in Yemen to increase their influence.
Jeffery Feltman, the US Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs, said national dialogue and a smooth transition to elections in the next two years would help counter al Qaeda and Iran.
Feltman said Iran, like al Qaeda, exploits instability in Yemen, pointing to increased Iranian influence in parts of Yemen. He did not elaborate.
Al Qaeda-linked militants have taken over parts of southern Yemen.
Speaking in Sana’a on Wednesday, Feltman said the US is sending an additional USD 36 million in humanitarian aid to Yemen this year to tackle poverty and other humanitarian issues in the impoverished country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj