Al Qaeda leader al-Libi was given political asylum in UK?
Zee Media Bureau
London: Abu Anas al-Libi, the al Qaeda leader who was captured by the US special forces in Libya, was given political asylum and allowed to live in Britain in 1995, reports said.
The US commandos in a Delta Force operation nabbed al-Libi from outside his house in Tripoli when he was parking his car.
On the run for 15 years, Abu Anas al-Libi was indicted in 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
Al-Liby, who was born Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai had a bounty worth $5 million on his head and was on the FBI`s Most Wanted List.
The 49 year old man, who studied electronic and nuclear engineering at Tripoli University, was al Qaeda`s main computer expert.
Britain Home Secretary Theresa May is set to face questions relating to why a man `known to the security and intelligence agencies` was granted political asylum in UK.
Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee, said al-Libi`s case will be raised with the Home Secretary, when she appears before MPs tomorrow, reports said.
"We will question the Home Secretary about this," said Mr Vaz. "It is highly relevant to our work on asylum and we will want to examine very carefully whether the proper checks were made."
It is reported that al-Libi was detained by the police for questioning after the bombings but he was later released and he fled UK.
When his house in the city was finally raided by police, they discovered a 180-page al-Qaeda manual on methods of carrying out terror attacks and assassinations, reported the Daily Telegraph.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch