Al Qaeda leader confirms death of No 2 al-Libi
Cairo: Months after reports claimed that US drone strike killed Abu Yahya al-Libi, the leader of al Qaeda on Monday also put a confirmation stamp on the news.
In a video posted on militant websites, al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahri described his late lieutenant Abu Yahya al-Libi as a "lion of jihad and knowledge”, who was killed in a US drone strike in northwestern Pakistan in June.
The killing of al-Libi, who was Libyan by birth, was the biggest setback to al Qaeda since the death of Osama bin Laden.
Al-Zawahri also urged Libyans — al-Libi was born in the north African country — to attack Americans to avenge the late militant`s death, saying his "blood is calling, urging and inciting you to fight and kill the Crusaders”.
Al-Libi, whose real name was Hassan Mohammed Qaid, was considered a media-savvy and charismatic leader with religious credentials. He rose to prominence in the group after escaping from the US military prison at the Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan in 2005.
In his eulogy, al-Zawahri also recalled how al-Libi fought in Afghanistan against the Soviet Union in the 1980s and then against the US after the American-led invasion following the September 11, 2001, attacks. He also praised al-Libi`s writings, saying he fought the West "with his hand, pen and tongue”.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'