Al Qaeda leader orders disbandment of Syria unit
Moscow: In a significant development ahead of the Geneva II talks on the Syrian crisis, al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri has called for disbandment of its affiliated unit, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
"The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) is to be abolished, while the Islamic State of Iraq (ISI) remains functioning (in Iraq)," al-Zawahari told al Jazeera in an audio-taped message, according to reports Sunday.
He said that ISIL leader Abu Bakr Baghdadi "made a mistake by establishing the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant without asking for our permission, or even informing".
The merger plan has been "damaging to all jihadists", Zawahiri said.
The jihadist Al-Nusra Front (Jabhat al-Nusra) would continue to function as "an independent branch of al Qaeda that reports to the general command", while the activities of the ISI would be limited to operations inside Iraq, the Russia Today quoted Zawahiri as saying in the tape to Al Jazeera.
"It is not clear when Friday`s (Nov 8) statement was recorded, but it appears to be confirmation of a letter that Ayman al-Zawahri allegedly wrote in June that was posted on Al Jazeera`s website. However, at that time the letter`s authenticity could not be independently verified," the Russia Today reported.
Earlier in June, Zawahri had to intervene in a dispute between the Iraqi and Syrian branches of his network.
The discord between Al Qaeda branches occurred back in April when ISIL announced it had united with Syria`s Al-Nusra Front, which gained much power in Syria through engaging in fight directly against government troops and local militias allied with it.
Although Al-Nusra leader Abu Mohammed al-Jawlani acknowledged a relationship between the two groups, he denied there had been a merger and publicly pledged his loyalty to Zawahiri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof