Sanaa: Al Qaeda said its militants in central Yemen killed dozens of Shiite rebels in twin attacks early on Saturday that included a suicide bombing.
Tribal sources also said dozens died in the attacks, including when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden car into a medical centre converted into a barracks by the Huthi rebels in the Rada region of Manaseh.
Al Qaeda said in a statement that "dozens of Huthis were killed and wounded" in the attack at 1:00 am (2200 GMT), naming the bomber as Abu Maaz al-Khawlani.
There was no way to immediately verify the reports.
In another attack, al Qaeda militants opened fire on a school occupied by rebels in Jarrah valley, also near Rada, tribal sources and the jihadist group said.
An al Qaeda statement posted online said four jihadists stormed the building early Saturday.
The northern rebels had overran the capital unopposed on September 21, and have since expanded their control to coastal areas and regions south of Sanaa, where they have met a fierce resistance from Sunni tribes and al Qaeda.
The rebels are thought to be backed by forces loyal to former president Ali Abdulah Saleh, who was forced to step down in February 2012 following a year of nationwide protests.
On Friday, the UN Security Council slapped US-proposed sanctions on Saleh and two allied Shiite rebel commanders for threatening peace in the impoverished country.
Earlier in the day, his supporters protested alongside rebels denouncing the planned sanctions.
Yemen on Friday announced a new 36-member government intended to pull the country out of political crisis.