Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen
Sana`a: At least 20 people were killed and many injured when an al Qaeda suicide bomber blew himself up at a gathering of pro-government tribesmen in Yemen`s southern province of Abyan, Xinhua reported on Sunday.
The bomber detonated his explosives belt at a funeral in Jaar town in Abyan late Saturday, an official said.
Abdulatif al-Saeed, the leader of the tribal fighters who had supported government troops in the fight against al Qaeda over the past few months, was killed in the bombing.
The attack took place less than an hour after a Yemeni-US coordinated airstrike killed four al Qaeda militants in the southeastern province of Hadramout.
Backed by US troops, Yemen launched an offensive in May against the al Qaeda, known locally as Ansar al-Sharia - or "Partisans of Islamic Law".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday