Al Qaeda suicide bomber kills 20 in Yemen
Sana`a: At least 20 people were killed and many injured when an al Qaeda suicide bomber blew himself up at a gathering of pro-government tribesmen in Yemen`s southern province of Abyan, Xinhua reported on Sunday.
The bomber detonated his explosives belt at a funeral in Jaar town in Abyan late Saturday, an official said.
Abdulatif al-Saeed, the leader of the tribal fighters who had supported government troops in the fight against al Qaeda over the past few months, was killed in the bombing.
The attack took place less than an hour after a Yemeni-US coordinated airstrike killed four al Qaeda militants in the southeastern province of Hadramout.
Backed by US troops, Yemen launched an offensive in May against the al Qaeda, known locally as Ansar al-Sharia - or "Partisans of Islamic Law".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray