Al Qaeda `targeting European rail network`: Report
Berlin: Al Qaeda is plotting attacks on Europe`s high-speed rail network, a German newspaper reported on Monday, citing intelligence sources.
The extremist group could plant explosives on trains and tunnels or sabotage tracks and electrical cabling, said Bild, Europe`s most widely read daily.
While Germany said its threat level had not changed and Austria said no additional security measures had been taken, a Czech rail official said authorities there had implemented new, unspecified security measures.
Bild said the information came from the National Security Agency (NSA) in the United States, which had listened in to a conference call involving top al Qaeda operatives.
The attacks on Europe`s rail network were a "central topic" of this call, Bild said.
German authorities had responded to the threat with discreet measures such as deploying plain-clothed police officers at key stations and on main routes, according to the daily.
According to US media reports, intelligence services intercepted a conference call earlier this month between al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri and more than 20 operatives from across the group`s global network.
This prompted the US and several allies to shut embassies across the Muslim world, fearful of a major attack.
On August 1, the US issued a worldwide alert, warning of Al-Qaeda plans to launch an attack in the Middle East or North Africa.
Germany`s interior ministry said today that "the security situation has not changed," national news agency DPA reported.
The ministry said that while security warnings were received from time to time, it would not comment on these, adding that generally speaking Germany was among the potential targets of international jihadist organisations.
The Austrian interior ministry meanwhile said there were "no grounds for concern". While authorities were in contact with their counterparts in neighbouring countries, no special security measures had been taken for trains or stations.
The Czech railway however said it had beefed up security after the Bild report.
"We took some preventive measures to not be caught by surprise," said Jakub Ptacinsky, spokesman for the SZDC company in charge of Czech railway infrastructure.
"One must underestimate nothing," he told while refusing to specify the kinds of measures for "tactical reasons".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo