`Al Qaeda targeting Middle East more than US of late`
Washington: A RAND study has found out that the number of al Qaeda affiliates has expanded but the terror network has become more diffused and decentralised.
The Christian Science Monitor reports that most al Qaeda affiliates and allies are not actively plotting attacks against the US homeland.
Seth Jones, an analyst at the RAND Corporation, said that there has been a net expansion in the number and geographic scope of al Qaeda affiliates and allies over the past decade.
Jones further added that the Arab uprisings across North Africa and the Middle East have created an opportunity for al Qaeda affiliates and allies to secure a foothold in those regions.
According to the report, most of al Qaeda`s local affiliates largely run their operations autonomously, though they still communicate with core leadership in Pakistan and may seek strategic advice.
Al Qaeda documents have disclosed that both Osama bin Laden and the current Al Qaeda leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, primarily emphasised guerrilla campaigns to overthrow apostate governments in the Middle East.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened