Al Qaeda trained Tajik terrorist arrested in Russia
Moscow: Russian Federal Security Service
(FSB) has arrested a suspected al Qaeda trained international
terrorist, who is wanted in Tajikistan for alleged involvement
in terrorist activities,from the country`s Chelyabinsk region.
Abdulvosit Latipov, a Tajik citizen, is among radical
extremists operating in Tajikistan during and after the Soviet
collapse, security officials said.
"His gang is believed to be responsible for at least
43 murders. Among their victims were a prosecutor, a minister,
police and Russian border guards serving Tajikistan," English
language Russia Today TV channel reported.
Latipov`s gang is said to have been trained by al
Qaeda instructors in camps in Af-Pak region.
Even after the end of Tajikistan`s civil war in 1998
and government amnesty, Latipov`s gang did not lay down arms.
In 2001, Latipov and others were tried in absentia and put on
the international wanted list.
Latipov and his followers fled Tajikistan in 2004 and
used fake IDs to settle in Russia`s Chelyabinsk region of the
However, as of last year, police have managed to
identify and arrest several gang members, who provided the
information leading to the arrest of their leader. Latipov
will be extradited to Tajikistan to face charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority