Al Qaeda`s N Africa branch says got Libya weapons
Nouakchott: Al Qaeda`s North Africa
franchise acknowledged it had acquired part of slain Libyan
dictator Muammar Gaddafi`s arsenal, in comments by one of its
leaders quoted on Thursaday.
Mokhtar Belmokhtar, believed to be one of the leaders
of al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), made the remarks to
a Mauritanian news agency, which has carried interviews and
statements from the group in the past.
"We have been one of the main beneficiaries of the
revolutions in the Arab world," said Belmokhtar, an Algerian
"As for our acquisition of Libyan armament, that is an
absolutely natural thing," he said, without elaborating on the
nature of the weapons purportedly acquired.
Officials and experts have expressed concern that part
of Gaddafi`s considerable stock of weapons could end up in the
hands of AQIM, which has bases in the Sahel and currently
holds several foreign hostages.
According to several experts, AQIM has acquired
surface-to-air missiles which could pose a threat to flights
over the region.
Belmokhtar also claimed a level of ideological
convergence existed between his movement and the Islamist
rebels who eventually toppled Gaddafi last month and became
Libya`s new rulers.
"We did not fight, alongside them in the field against
the Gaddafi forces," he said. "But young Islamists, jihadis...
were the ones spearheading the revolution in Libya."
The National Transitional Council now in charge of
Libya owes its victory over Gaddafi`s 42-year rule partly to
Western military backing and claims to seek the establishment
of a moderate Islamic administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800