Al Shabaab terrorist jailed for 59 years in Kenya
Nairobi: A self-confessed terrorist belonging to the Al Shabaab outfit has been sentenced to 59 years in prison by a Kenyan court, after the man was found with explosive devices in a Nairobi residential estate.
Abdimajid Yasin Mohamed alias Hussein was jailed after he pleaded guilty to being a member of the militantt group blamed for a series of bomb and grenade attacks on Kenyan soil, News agencies reported.
His co-accused, Omar Abdi Aden alias Salman Abdi, however, denied being a member.
Nairobi chief magistrate Lucy Nyambura had earlier ordered that Abdimajid Yasin Mohamed undergo psychiatric examination. Doctors found him fit to stand trial.
The deadly explosives were to be used for terror attacks targeting the Kenyan parliament and a senior politician.
On Sep 14, police recovered four suicide bomb vests with up to 40 kg of explosives, two improvised explosive devices, 12 hand grenades, four AK-47 rifles, 16 magazines and 480 rounds of 7.62 mm ammunition.
Police have launched a manhunt for eight terror suspects who were planning to attack churches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday