Al Shabab suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel in Somalia kills 11
Zee Media Bureau
Mogadishu: A hotel in Somalia`s capital Mogadishu was hit by two deadly car suicide bombings on Wednesday killing 11 people.
The attack was claimed by al Qaeda-linked militant group al Shabab.
The terrorists detonated two cars-laden with explosives outside Jazeera hotel near international airport, which is frequently visited by high-profile Somali politicians and foreigners.
The second explosion took place within minutes after the first explosion and it killed security forces that were helping the victims of the first blast, said reports.
Of 11 killed, four were members of security forces.
"The number of dead is 11, with 18 others who were wounded," police commander Abdi Mohamed Jama said. He added that the situation is back to normal as "mine experts have cleared the area for any possible explosive devices".
The attack was condemned by PM Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed, who tweeted that the terrorists continued the year 2014 with violence.
Terrorists have started 2014 as they finished 2013 with indiscriminate violence & killings. Will only serve to unite #Somalia against them
— @SomaliPM (@SomaliPM) January 1, 2014
The hotel was also earlier attacked in December 2012, when President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud was staying there.
Al Shabab has been branded as a banned terrorist outfit by both the US and the UK but still has under its control some rural areas of the country where it has imposed Sharia law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir