Al Shabab suicide attack on Mogadishu hotel in Somalia kills 11
Zee Media Bureau
Mogadishu: A hotel in Somalia`s capital Mogadishu was hit by two deadly car suicide bombings on Wednesday killing 11 people.
The attack was claimed by al Qaeda-linked militant group al Shabab.
The terrorists detonated two cars-laden with explosives outside Jazeera hotel near international airport, which is frequently visited by high-profile Somali politicians and foreigners.
The second explosion took place within minutes after the first explosion and it killed security forces that were helping the victims of the first blast, said reports.
Of 11 killed, four were members of security forces.
"The number of dead is 11, with 18 others who were wounded," police commander Abdi Mohamed Jama said. He added that the situation is back to normal as "mine experts have cleared the area for any possible explosive devices".
The attack was condemned by PM Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed, who tweeted that the terrorists continued the year 2014 with violence.
Terrorists have started 2014 as they finished 2013 with indiscriminate violence & killings. Will only serve to unite #Somalia against them
— @SomaliPM (@SomaliPM) January 1, 2014
The hotel was also earlier attacked in December 2012, when President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud was staying there.
Al Shabab has been branded as a banned terrorist outfit by both the US and the UK but still has under its control some rural areas of the country where it has imposed Sharia law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark